July 18, 2012
July 18, 2012
- It's Dragon Training Time....More Travels
- WIN 4 Tix to Cathy Rigby is Peter Pan at the Fox!
- WIN 4 TIX: The Emperor and The Nightingale
- Macaroni Kid Day at MEDIEVAL TIMES
- Macaroni Kid Discount at GEORGIA AQUARIUM!
- Moon Day: July 20th
- Macaroni Kid Reader Discounts!
- This Week's Picks
- This Week's Calendar
- Teen Scene
- Plan Ahead
- Edible Cooke Dough
- Pretend Fish Tank
- Beat the Heat! Stay Cool This Summer
- 2012 SUMMER CAMP GUIDE
- Restaurant Directory: Kids Eat Free & Cheap
- SVM Macaroni Kid Mom’s Group Directory
July 20th is Moon Day, commemorating the date that the first manned mission to the moon, Apollo 11, landed in 1969.
- 12 men have landed on the moon, the first two were Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin from Apollo 11.
- Apollo 11 was launched on July 16th, landed on the moon on the 20th and landed back on Earth in the Pacific Ocean on July 24th.
- The men only spent about 2-1/2 hours on the surface of the moon.
- Upon stepping on the surface of the moon, Armstrong said, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."
- The astronauts collected soil samples, planted a US flag and left behind a bag of memorial items and extra equipment that they did not need for the return flight, in order to lighten the load.
- When they returned to Earth, the astronauts were quarantined for 21 days as a precaution, then went on a 45-day "Giant Leap" tour all over the world. Quite a celebration!
Have your say
© 2013 Macaroni Kid, LLC