Grandparents: We love them, our kids adore them ... and in turn, they offer unconditional love (and — if you're lucky — free babysitting!). Grandparents Day is Sunday, Sept. 12 and there's no better way to show the older people in your life how much you and your kids love and appreciate them than spending the day with them. And for those of you grandparents raising your grandkids full-time? We see and very much appreciate you!
Lucky enough to have grandparents who live close by? Here are 8 ideas on how to spend Grandparents Day in Smyrna Vinings.
Getty Images via Canva
1. Take them out for a special meal in Smyrna Vinings.
Here are three of our favorite Cobb-owned restaurants:
- Marietta Fish Market- Sunday hours: 12pm-10pm
- Scalinis- Sunday hours: 11:30am-9pm
- J Christophers- Sunday hours 7am- 2pm
2. Go for a walk in the woods in Smyrna Vinings
If your grandparents love fresh air and hiking in the woods, there might be no simpler way to spend the day! Here are some great hiking trails in Cobb that are accessible to all:
- Silver Comet Trail
- Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area- Akers Mill Access Point
- A little further away: Amicalola Falls State Park
3. Plan a picnic in Smyrna Vinings
Surprise Grandma and Grandpa with a picnic! Here are three great spots in Smyrna Vinings for a family picnic:
- Taylor-Brawner Park
- Tolleson Park
- East Cobb Park
Getty Images via Canva
4. Let your child share one of their favorite places in Cobb County
Does your child have a favorite Smyrna trampoline park, amusement park, or Smyrna playground? Grandma and Grandpa might love to come along to take part, or if that's too much, simply watch their grandchildren enjoy themselves! Your children, in turn, will probably love to tour Grandma and Grandpa around their favorite place in Smyrna. Here are three fun spots in Smyrna where kids can play and there is plenty of room for adults to watch (or take part!):
- RocknJump Smyrna - There is plenty of seating for you to keep an eye on the grandchildren.
- Andretti Indoor Karting and Games- If grandma and grandpa feel the need for speed this may be the place for them.
- Main Event- fun for the entire family, and something for everyone of all activity levels, with plenty of ample sitting all around.
Grandparents live far away?
Let them know you're thinking of them on Grandparents Day! Here are three ways to tell them you love them from a distance:
Make a video
Kids can list all the things they love about grandma and grandpa.
Send them a hug
Tape together a few pieces of newspaper or use the white side of wrapping paper and outline your child with their arms outstretched. Let your kids color themselves in. Fold it up, put it in an envelope, and send that hug to Grandma and Grandpa!
Grandparents love personalized gifts, so make them DIY coasters, either with your kids' picture or a drawing they've completed. See how to do it here.
5. Let grandparents share one of their favorite places in Smyrna Vinings
Perhaps your grandparents have a favorite spot or activity in Smyrna that you haven't been to before! Let them take you and your kids along to experience what makes it important to them. They'll love introducing you and your kids to their friends and sharing a place that's special.
6. Visit a museum in Smyrna Vinings together
Museums are a great place to spend a day with Grandma and Grandpa! Here are three great museums in Smyrna Vinings that will be open on Grandparents Day:
- Marietta Cobb Museum of Art- Sunday hours: 1p-4p
- The Southern Museum of Locomotive History: Sunday hours: CLOSED (Tuesday – Saturday: 9:30am – 5pm)
- Museum of History and Holocaust Education: Sunday hours: CLOSED ( Monday- Friday: 10am -5pm)
Monkey Business Images via Canva
7. Plan a photo scavenger hunt
We developed this fun scavenger hunt for teens and tweens but there's no reason why Grandma and Grandpa can't take part too! Make great memories by taking selfies together, recreating a famous Beatles album cover, and just generally spending the day out and about in Smyrna Vinings being silly together.
8. Go for ice cream
Who doesn't love a sweet treat? Check out our favorite places in Smyrna Vinings.
Getty Images Signature via Canva