As a mom of two, I am at the doctor more times a year than I can count.
But the last time I went to a checkup for me?
Well, let's just say it's been too long.
But I don't have a primary care doctor, and finding one that takes our insurance, doesn't require me to wait for an hour in the lobby, and who I'm comfortable with ... well that just seems like a lot of work.
So I was glad to find HealthTap, a company that is on a mission to connect every person in America with their own primary care doctor. I was a little uncertain about the idea of meeting with a doctor virtually, but decided to give HealthTap a try because it seemed like a simple, no-hassle process. They don't even require proof of insurance!
The author received a HealthTap appointment and compensation for this article. All thoughts and opinions expressed are her own.
I'm not the only one willing to go virtual: Since the pandemic started, the popularity of telehealth has skyrocketed, and it appears to be an option that's here to stay. The reasons?
Anyone can use a service like HealthTap from anywhere. HealthTap is great for:
- People in communities with long waits to get a primary care doctor
People in rural communities where the nearest doctor’s office might be an hour’s drive away
- People without access to a car, or for anyone who faces challenges getting to a doctor’s office (parents with small kids who have to bring them along)
- People with high deductible health plans
- People who can’t take time off work or family to go to an in-person office
What I especially liked about HealthTap (which is available in all 50 states) is that membership costs just $15 a month, and you can add kids for free.
So I decided to give it a try.
I signed up, put in my basic information, and was able to pick from four different doctors to meet with at a time convenient to me.
On my appointment day, I logged on five minutes before the appointment was to start and readied myself for a long wait. I'll probably still have to wait 30 minutes just like a regular doctor waiting room, I thought to myself.
But right on time — at 7:30 p.m. sharp — Dr. Sally Sartin logged on and introduced herself. I felt comfortable with her right away as we chatted. She took the time, I felt, to get to know me — to ask about my life, my medical history, and any concerns I might have.
After hearing how long it had been since I'd been to a doctor she ordered me blood tests and sent the orders to a medical lab just three miles from my house. We made a plan to meet again in about a month to go over results, and said our goodbyes. I like that I can continue appointments with the same primary care doctor moving forward.
In just 30 minutes I logged off and went right back to my family. A quick commute!
As I found, HealthTap's primary care physicians can treat a wide range of health care conditions and concerns, from diagnosis to managing treatments. Specifically, HealthTap primary care physicians can help with things like:
- Chronic Care: Diabetes, high blood pressure, allergies, high cholesterol, gastrointestinal disorders (IBS), arthritis
- Children’s Health: Cold & flu symptoms, diarrhea, constipation, skin rashes, allergies
- Mental & Behavioral Health: Talk to a primary care doctor about depression, sleep issues, school or work stress
- Wellness, Prevention & Lifestyle: Weight counseling, skin and hair care, supplements, health screenings, stress reduction
- Women’s Health: UTI, birth control, menopause, period problems, yeast infections, skin and hair care
- Men’s Health: STI symptoms, erection issues, bladder or bowel issues, skin and hair care
- Travel Medicine: Vaccinations and medications, pre-travel counseling, post-travel care
- Sexual Health: STI prevention or testing, erectile dysfunction, birth control counseling
- Senior Health: Muscle or joint pain, medication management, preventive health screenings
Plus I like the fact that HealthTap gives me and my family an opportunity to connect with an urgent care doctor 24/7 — that's a great benefit given how full the local urgent cares and emergency rooms have been lately!
For just $15 a month and $39 a visit (and no surprise billing!) I felt like my HealthTap experience was a great value both to my health and my pocketbook. I plan on continuing the service with my new primary care doctor.